History of Diplomatic Relations

On February 2, 1920, Estonia and Russia (Soviet Russia at the time) signed the Tartu Peace Treaty, which stated that both countries recognise each other’s independence.

During the period between the two World Wars, the following people acted as Estonian Ambassadors in Moscow: Tõnis Vares (1921-1922); Ado Birk (1922-1926); Heinrich Laretei (1926-1928);  Julius Seljamaa (1928-1933); Karl Tofer (1933-1936);  August Traksmaa (1936-1937); August Rei (1938-1940).

Russia recognised the re-independence of Estonia on August 24, 1991. Diplomatic relations between the two countries/nations were restored on October 24, 1991. After regaining independence, the first Estonian Ambassador in the Russian Federation was Jüri Kahn, who presented his credentials on February 4, 1992. The succeeding Estonian Ambassadors in Moscow were Mart Helme (1995-1999), Tiit Matsulevitš (1999-2001), Karin Jaani (2001-2005), Marina Kaljurand (2005-2008), Simmu Tiik (2008-2012) and Jüri Luik (2013-2015) and Arti Hilpus (2015-2018). Estonia is currently represented in Moscow by Ambassador Margus Laidre.

After the re-independence of Estonia, the first Russian Ambassador in Estonia was Aleksander Trofimov, who presented his credentials on September 9, 1992. The succeeding Russian Ambassadors in Estonia were Aleksei Gluhhov (1997-2000), Konstantin Provalov (2001-2006), Nikolai Uspenski (2006-2009), Juri Merzljakov (2010-2015). The current Russian Ambassador, Aleksandr Petrov, presented his credentials on October 15, 2015.

In addition to an Embassy in Moscow, Estonia also has a Consulate General in St. Petersburg and a Chancery of General Consulate in Pskov. In addition to an Embassy in Tallinn, Russia also a Consulate General in Narva and a Chancery of General Consulate in Tartu.